STRIDER Track Highlight: Charlotte BMX
Florida is one of the hot spots for BMX racing in the US and Charlotte BMX is definitely one of the more unique tracks. Their signature yellow announcers nest and bridge are mirrored in their amazing STRIDER specific track!
We sent track operator, Amanda Carr (yes, THAT Amanda Carr), and asked her some questions about the construction of the track and the success of their STRIDER program.
2. When are you open?: STRIDER practice ($3) is Monday & Wednesday 6pm-8pm, Sunday 2pm-4:30pm with STRIDER races ($5) the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month at 3:45pm.
3. Why did you build a STRIDER track?: Charlotte BMX understands the root of BMX Racing is with the youth. We recognize that STRIDER BIkes will help build rider retention and an overall enjoyable family experience at the BMX track!
4. Completion date, cost, and time spent?: The track was completed on January 1st, 2013. It took about 6 months to completely build it, but racing/practice took place throughout the building process. Total cost was around $1,500.
5. Space and Materials: Base is 8-10 loads of fill dirt with a surface top of 1-2 loads of 80/20 Red clay and Soil Tac. Track was built with volunteers, a small tractor, shovels, rakes and concrete mixer (for soil tac and slurry).
6. Track Layout: Total course length is 127 ft. The track consists of Starting hill (7.5 ft wide), 3 turns, 9 rollers, and a 10 ft wooden bridge!
7. Overall Experience: STRIDERS are a great way to get little ones started with BMX racing. Families with multiple children, STRIDERS are a way for the younger siblings to get started and have fun at the track! Charlotte BMX races our STRIDERS at the beginning of our races (on the big track), the parents and riders enjoy watching the little ones stride! They add a new element to our facility.
If you are from the Punta Gorda area, or are ever in the area, make sure to stop by and say hello to Amanda and don’t forget to bring your STRIDER riders!